Even though we can’t gather together to clean up the Potomac River right now, we can still do our part individually. Use the Water Reporter app to report trash hotspots and to find places to clean up trash!
How to get started:
- Download The Water Reporter app from the App Store or Google Play
- Create a personal account
- Join the Potomac Riverkeeper Network group
- Tap the blue circle with the pencil icon in the bottom right corner of your screen
How to create a post:
- Select the location for your post. The best way to do this is to allow the app to access your location. If you are posting away from the original location, you can type in the location and manually adjust the pin to the correct location.
- Describe your observation. Include details about the location that will help others access the location. Add the #trashfreepotomac hashtag. Be sure to note if you cleaned up the trash.
- Upload a picture of your observation. You can either take a picture in the app or upload a picture from your camera roll. Choose a photo that clearly captures the trash.
- Share with PRKN by tapping the green circle next to “Potomac Riverkeeper Network.”
- Review your post and click the checkmark in the upper right corner.
To find trash hotspots near you
- Scroll down on this page to find our Water Reporter Map
- Type an address in the search bar
- Move around the map to find nearby posts
- Go to post location and pick up trash
Tips & tricks for picking up trash and using Water Reporter
- Wear gloves and bring a bag to collect trash
- Be sure to properly dispose of the trash you collect
- When submitting a report, please include important details about the location such as the name of stream and trailhead, distance from roadway or parking area, address of parking locations, etc. to ensure people find it
- Comment and like posts on Water Reporter
- Follow your local sub-watershed on Water Reporter