We have been working diligently for years to tackle the issue of nutrient pollution and the algae crisis it creates on the Shenandoah. Primarily, intense poultry and dairy operations create hundreds of millions of pounds of manure which causes runoff, triggering massive algae blooms year-round, inhibiting recreational use, and hurting aquatic life. Construction sites, failing urban infrastructure and outdated sewage treatment also contribute to the excessive nutrient pollution.
Goal: Get official government recognition of the Shenandoah’s algae problem due to nutrient pollution which triggers a requirement to start cleaning it up!
This campaign has multiple components and strategies:
- Listing Shenandoah as Impaired Due to Algae
- Get the Cattle Out Campaign
- Virginia Sewage Sludge Application Regulations
- Virginia Petition to Enforce Factory Farm (CAFOs) Permits
- Sewage and Industrial Discharge Reduction