Chesapeake Conservation Corps Program
Green Job Internship Opportunity, August 2020 – September 2021
Application Deadline: March 12, 2020
The Chesapeake Bay Trust is seeking applications for the Chesapeake Conservation Corps Program where young professionals can gain vital green jobs skills and build a network of connections in the environmental field. This year Potomac Riverkeeper Network is one of the many potential Host sites for the 2020-21 Chesapeake Conservation Corps service year.
This one-year term of paid service places young adults (ages 18-25) with nonprofits or government agencies to work full-time in the environmental field in the Chesapeake watershed. Throughout the year this program provides hands-on professional and leadership experience through on-the-ground work leading and assisting environmental projects and programs, extensive trainings, and other opportunities including networking and grant writing. This initiative is supported by the Trust, BGE an Exelon Company, the U.S. National Park Service and the state of Maryland.
Potomac Riverkeeper Network (PRKN) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to stopping pollution and restoring clean water in the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers and their tributaries through community engagement, advocacy, and enforcement. PRKN’s headquarters is located in Washington, DC, with field offices in Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, and has a membership of more than 1,500. For more information, check our website at www.prknetwork.org.
If successfully matched with Potomac Riverkeeper Network, you will support two Maryland programs:
- PRKN’s citizen science water quality monitoring program:
- Conduct data analysis to demonstrate trends in water quality results
- Create visual materials for internal and external purposes
- Assist in organizing volunteers and training sessions
- Collect water samples and perform scientific analysis to determine bacteria, pH, and turbidity in our floating lab at National Harbor, Oxon Hill, MD
- RiverPalooza – our summer educational guided paddle series:
- Assist in event planning for 2021 RiverPalooza
- Research tour sites and write a short narrative of the history, cultural significance, pollution impacts to the Chesapeake Bay
- Research and assist with writing grant proposals to foundations and companies
- Attend all RiverPalooza trips and manage registration and event logistics
The Chesapeake Bay Trust anticipates placing around 35-40 Corps Members, young adults 18-25, with nonprofit organizations and government agencies throughout the Chesapeake Bay region for a paid year of service ($19,000) beginning on August 18, 2020. PRKN will provide additional benefits such as parking, phone and travel reimbursement. To find the application go to https://cbtrust.org/prospective/.
Applications must be submitted through the Trust’s online system by March 12, 2020 at 4:00 pm. For any questions about becoming a volunteer or about the Chesapeake Conservation Corps, contact Senior Program Officer Tara Drennan, email@example.com or 410-974-2941, ext. 102.