- This event has passed.
RiverPalooza: USFS Shenandoah Snorkeling and Paddle
Jul 15, 2022 @ 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
(Rain Date: Friday, July 22)
Want to experience the thrill of snorkeling the Shenandoah? Well, you’re in luck—this is the trip for you! Join us along with our good friend and partner – the U.S. Forest Service – in celebration of Latino Conservation Week. We will put in at Hazard Mill on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River and paddle down to the Bentonville boat ramp. Along the way we’re going to stop a few times and check out some juicy snorkeling spots and actually do what so very few of us have actually done before—snorkel the Shenandoah River! The U.S. Forest Service will have laminated fish i.d. cards so you can identify what you see swimming by.
Should you have friends or family who only speak Spanish, we will have Spanish translators on the trip with us, so please invite them to come out and enjoy the river. We are also available to provide American Sign language (ASL) translation services with advanced notice. To request ASL please email email@example.com
We also have Greg Trilling from the Audubon Naturalist Society coming along with us again this year and will have them set up a macroinvertebrate station so we can get an up-close and personal look at some of the smaller critters living on the river bottom.
The fee includes the use of the canoe/kayak and the snorkeling gear (goggles/snorkel; no need for fins as they just hinder your ability to move around safely on shore).
This is normally the time we’ll have low/clear conditions, so it should make for a great day of paddling and snorkeling! Be sure and pack a beach towel, don’t forget lunch and plenty of drinking water, and enjoy a day on the beautiful Shenandoah River with your Shenandoah Riverkeeper and our friends at the U.S. Forest Service!
Location: Bentonville, VA
Are you interested in paddling our waterways WHILE raising much needed funds for clean water? You’re in luck! This year is the 50th anniversary of the Clean Water Act, a momentous legislation that gives PRKN the power to force polluters in the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers to clean up their messes. And we’re asking you to help us catalyze our past successes into a cleaner, more just future by creating your very own clean water campaign!
This year you can put your paddle trip miles to good use by hosting your own paddlethon. Track your miles paddled and ask your friends and family to pledge X amount per mile. Become our top fundraiser and you can win:
- A brand-new kayak
- Recruit a buddy to form your own team (or increase your team’s impact if you already have one) and win a trip on the Sea Dog – PRKN’s 42’ Research Boat (limit to 10 people)
Lead Riverkeeper: Mark Frondorf – (571) 969-0746 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Arrival Location:Downriver Canoe Company
884 Indian Hollow Rd, Bentonville, VA 22610
Arrival Time: 10:00 AM
Estimated Take-out time: 4:00 PM
Boat Options and Trip Costs:
- Canoe rental: $75 per canoe for up to two people (minimum age 12 years old)
- Single Kayak: $50 per kayak for one person
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Boat): $35 per boat for the shuttle
Included with each registration:
- rental canoe or kayak
- Clean Water Act 50th Anniversary commemorative t-shirt
- Participant Limit: 30 People
Note: Rentals are only available to adults or children 8 years and older who are accompanied by an adult and comfortable being face down in the water.
HOW TO REGISTER
Two waivers must be signed online (in advance) for you to be registered for this trip.
1. ACA waiver
2. Outfitter waiver- Participant Rental waiver
Also to do in advance:
WHAT TO BRING:
- Packed lunch
- Wear proper footwear. NO FLIP-FLOPS. Old gym shoes, sandals with a strap, and water shoes work great
- Sunscreen, hat, and rain gear
- Snacks and drinking water (no glass bottles)
- Change of clothes
- Dry Bag or Waterproof Container (if you bring a phone or a non-waterproof camera, you need a way to protect it)
- If you plan to fish, bring a valid fishing license for the waters you would be fishing — but this is not a fishing trip!
Tag us in your paddle trips on