- This event has passed.
RiverPalooza: USFS Shenandoah Snorkeling and Paddle
July 14 @ 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Looking for an exciting adventure? Look no further! Join us on an unforgettable snorkeling trip down the South Fork of the Shenandoah River, in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service. We’ll begin our journey at Hazard Mill and make our way downstream to the Bentonville boat ramp, stopping along the way to explore some amazing snorkeling spots.
With laminated fish ID cards provided by the U.S. Forest Service, you’ll be able to identify the various fish and other aquatic wildlife swimming by. And if you have friends or family who speak Spanish, no worries – we’ll have Spanish translators on hand to ensure everyone can fully enjoy the experience.
We’re also thrilled to welcome Greg Trilling from the Audubon Naturalist Society, who will set up a macroinvertebrate station to give us a closer look at some of the smaller river inhabitants.
The trip fee includes the use of canoes/kayaks and snorkeling gear, so all you need to bring is a beach towel, lunch, and plenty of water. And with low/clear river conditions expected at this time of year, it’s the perfect opportunity for a day of safe and enjoyable paddling and snorkeling.
Don’t miss this chance to explore the stunning Shenandoah River and its fascinating wildlife with your Shenandoah Riverkeeper. We can’t wait to see you there!
Location: Bentonville, VA
- Arrival Location:
Down River Canoe
884 Indian Hollow Rd.
Bentonville, VA 22610
- Begin Arrival & Check in: 9:00AM
- Shuttle Departs to Put-In: 10:00AM
- Estimated Take-out time: 4:00pm
- Paddle Level: Intermediate (can handle more advanced whitewater strokes)
- Boat Options and Costs:
Canoe: $75 (Includes registration for 2)
Tandem Kayak: $75
Included with each registration:
- Riverkeeper Leader
- rental canoe or kayak
- Paddle insurance
- Personal flotation device for the day (with rental)
- Snorkel equipment
- Shuttle Service (if applicable)
- RiverPalooza Tee
Note: Rentals are only available to adults or children 8 years and older who are accompanied by an adult and comfortable being face down in the water.
HOW TO REGISTER
Two waivers must be signed online (in advance) for you to be registered for this trip.
1. ACA waiver
2. Outfitter waiver- Participant Rental waiver
Also to do in advance:
WHAT TO BRING:
- Packed lunch
- Reusable water bottle (please no plastic bottles or glass)
- Wear proper footwear. NO FLIP-FLOPS. Old gym shoes, sandals with a strap, and water shoes work great
- Sunscreen, hat and rain gear
- Snacks and drinking water (no glass bottles)
- Change of clothes
- Dry Bag or Waterproof Container (if you bring a phone or a non-waterproof camera, you need a way to protect it)
Tag us in your paddle trips on