WHEN: Saturday, July 21, 2018
Title: Shenandoah Paddling/Snorkeling Trip – Hazard Mill to Bentonville Low-Water Bridge Take-Out
River: The South Fork of the Shenandoah River
Trip Description: When we are paddling we only see the tippy top of the water’s surface. What is going on in the middle of the water column? What’s happening on the bottom? How many fish species do you think you can identify? Want to learn about the critters swimming on the bottom? Want to experience the thrill of snorkeling the Shenandoah? Well, you’re in luck—this is the trip for you! Join us along with our good friends at the U.S. Forest Service as we put in at Hazard Mill on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River and paddle down to the Bentonville boat ramp. Along the way we’re going to stop a few times and check out some juicy snorkeling spots and actually do what so very few of us have actually done before—snorkel the Shenandoah River!
We are partnering with North Bay Adventure to help make for a fun and educational day on the river. The fee includes the use of the canoe/kayak and the snorkeling gear (goggles/snorkel; bring your own fins if you need/want them).
This is normally the time we’ll have low/clear conditions, so it should make for a great day of paddling and snorkeling! Be sure and pack a beach towel, don’t forget lunch, and enjoy a day on the beautiful Shenandoah River with your Shenandoah Riverkeeper and our friends at the U.S. Forest Service!
AGE LIMIT: 12 years old
- Lead Riverkeeper: Mark Frondorf – 571-969-0746 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outfitter and Arrival Location:
Downriver Canoe Company
884 Indian Hollow Road
Bentonville, VA 22610
- Arrival Time: 10:00 AM; anticipated take-out time 4:00 PM
- Boat Options and Trip Costs:
Canoe rental: $75 per canoe for up to two people (minimum age 12 years old)
Single Kayak: $50 per kayak for one person
BYOB (Bring Your Own Boat): $35 per boat for the shuttle
- The following “awesomeness” is included with each registration:
rental canoe or kayak (except BYOB)
personal flotation device for the day
RiverPalooza 2018 commemorative t-shirt
one-year PRKN membership to support your Shenandoah Riverkeeper and clean water
Registration deadline Tuesday, July 17th
Participant Limit: 30 people
What to Bring:
- Wear proper footwear. NO FLIP-FLOPS. Old gym shoes, sandals with a strap, and water shoes work great. Don’t forget your fins if you have them!
- Fishing gear, sunscreen, hat and rain gear. Did I mention sunscreen?
- Healthful snacks and drinking water (no glass bottles)
- Change of clothes
- Dry Bag or Waterproof Container (if you bring a phone or a non-waterproof camera, you need a way to protect it)
- If you plan to fish, bring valid fishing license for the waters you would be fishing
- Downriver Canoe Company waiver (bring signed copy with you)
- Trip waiver (bring signed copy with you) – Adult waiver | Minor waiver
- Read Paddle Rules
- Download Water Reporter app to record your paddle experience. #RiverPalooza2018
Several camping locations are available in the immediate vicinity of Downriver Canoe Company. Check here for more information.
NOTE: Potomac Riverkeeper Network is not responsible for securing camping reservations or for the safety and enjoyment of participants who wish to attend. Trip times are subject to change or cancellation due to inclement weather, high river levels, tidal fluctuations, wind, and other factors that could jeopardize safety and enjoyment of participants. Unfortunately, there can be no refunds. Potomac Riverkeeper Network is not responsible for any personal property that may be lost, damaged, or stolen during the trip. Potomac Riverkeeper Network is not responsible for limited camping, outfitter service, lengthy paddle distances, late start times, and uncontrollable weather that could potentially prohibit/limit our ability to provide an enjoyable and safe paddling experience.