July 16, 2021 | 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
(Rain Date: Friday, July 23)
Want to experience the thrill of snorkeling the Shenandoah? Well, you’re in luck—this is the trip for you! Join us along with our good friend and partner – the U.S. Forest Service – as we put in at Hazard Mill on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River and paddle down to the Bentonville boat ramp. Along the way we’re going to stop a few times and check out some juicy snorkeling spots and actually do what so very few of us have actually done before—snorkel the Shenandoah River! The U.S. Forest Service will have laminated fish i.d. Cards so you can identify what you see swimming by. Should you have friends or family who only speak Spanish, we will have Spanish translators on the trip with us, so please invite them to come out and enjoy the river.
We also have Greg Trilling from the Audubon Naturalist Society coming along with us again this year and will have them set up a macroinvertebrate station so we can get an up close and personal look at some of the smaller critters living on the river bottom.
The fee includes the use of the canoe/kayak and the snorkeling gear (goggles/snorkel; no need for fins as they just hinder your ability to move around safely onshore).
This is normally the time we’ll have low/clear conditions, so it should make for a great day of paddling and snorkeling! Be sure and pack a beach towel, don’t forget lunch and plenty of drinking water, and enjoy a day on the beautiful Shenandoah River with your Shenandoah Riverkeeper and our friends at the U.S. Forest Service!
Lead Riverkeeper: Mark Frondorf – (571) 969-0746 or email@example.com
Arrival Location: Downriver Canoe Company, 884 Indian Hollow Rd, Bentonville, VA 22610
Arrival Time: 10:00 AM
Estimated Take-out time: 4:00 PM
Paddle Distance: 6 miles/3 hrs
Boat Options and Costs:
- Canoe rental: $75 per canoe for up to two people (minimum age 12 years old)
- Single Kayak: $50 per kayak for one person
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Boat): $35 per boat for the shuttle
Included with each registration:
- Rental canoe or kayak
- RiverPalooza 2021 commemorative t-shirt
Participant Limit: 30 People
Note: Rentals are only available to adults or children 12 years and older who are accompanied by an adult and comfortable being face down in the water.
What to Bring:
- Packed lunch, snacks and drinking water (no glass bottles)
- Wear proper footwear. NO FLIP-FLOPS. Old gym shoes, sandals with a strap, and water shoes work great
- Sunscreen, hat and rain gear
- Change of clothes
- A face mask
- Dry bag or waterproof container (if you bring a phone or a non-waterproof camera, you need a way to protect it)
- If you plan to fish, bring a valid fishing license for the waters you would be fishing.
- Read the Paddle Rules
The following waivers are required for each participant in your party.
- ACA Trip Waiver (fill out and submit online in advance)
- Potomac Riverkeeper Network Trip Waiver (fill out and submit online in advance)
- Downriver Canoe Company Trip Waiver (fill out and submit online in advance)
Tag us in your paddle trips on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or TikTok — #RiverPalooza2021
July 16, 2021 | 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Rain Date: Friday, July 23) Want to experience the thrill of snorkeling the Shenandoah? Well, you’re in luck—this is the trip for you! Join us along with our good friend and partner – the U.S. Forest Service – as we put in at Hazard Mill […]firstname.lastname@example.org