May 21, 2021 | 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
(Rain Date: Friday, July 9)
Join your Shenandoah Riverkeeper for a gentle and beautiful float down the Shenandoah River. We will put in at the Andy Guest Shenandoah River State Park and float down to the Karo Landing.
We are fortunate to have avid birders, Heather McSharry and Mark Abdy help lead us on the trip. They are the Washington County Coordinators for the Maryland Ornithological Society’s Breeding Bird Atlas 3 Project, and regularly organize and participate in Washington County Bird Club activities. Prior to retirement, Heather was a Wildlife Biologist who worked on endangered species and ecosystem restoration for the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Mark is a veterinarian who works for the US Food and Drug Administration. He has used his vacation time to organize and lead annual safaris to Africa for 21 years and bird-watching trips to Costa Rica and Panama.
Mark and Heather will help us identify the songbirds, waterfowl and any of our other feathery friends we see along the way. As a bonus, we get to glide past a large Great Blue Heron rookery. Space is definitely limited so don’t kick yourself for waiting until the last minute because doing so will result in heartache.
Event will be held rain or shine as long as the river conditions permit safe paddling.
Lead Riverkeeper: Mark Frondorf – (571) 969-0746 or email@example.com
River: South Fork Shenandoah River
Outfitter and Arrival Location:
Front Royal Outdoors
8567 Stonewall Jackson Hwy
Front Royal, VA 22630
Arrival Time: 9:00am with 10am launch.
Anticipated Take-out time: 3:00pm
Paddle Level: Beginner
Paddle Distance: 5 miles
Boat Options and Costs:
- Canoe: $75 per canoe for up to two adults
- Kayak: $60 for one person
- BYOB (Bring your Own Boat) $35 per boat for the shuttle
Included with each registration:
- Rental canoe or kayak (except BYOB)
- Paddle insurance
- Personal flotation device for the day (with rental)
- Interpretive guide
- RiverPalooza 2021 commemorative t-shirt
- One -year PRKN membership to support the Shenandoah Riverkeeper and clean water
Participant Limit: 20 People
Note: Rentals are only available to adults or children 12 years and older who are accompanied by an adult.
What to Bring:
- Packed lunch, snacks and drinking water (no glass bottles)
- Wear proper footwear. NO FLIP-FLOPS. Old gym shoes, sandals with a strap, and water shoes work great
- Sunscreen, hat and rain gear
- Change of clothes
- A face mask
- Dry bag or waterproof container (if you bring a phone or a non-waterproof camera, you need a way to protect it)
- If you plan to fish, bring a valid fishing license for the waters you would be fishing.
- Read the Paddle Rules
- Participants need to watch this online river safety video
The following Liability Waivers are required for each participant in your party. Please fill out and submit in advance.
- ACA Trip Waiver(fill out and submit online)
- Potomac Riverkeeper Network Trip Waiver(fill out and submit online)
- Front Royal Outdoors Trip Waiver (fill out and submit online)
Tag us in your paddle trips on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or TikTok — #RiverPalooza2021