August 7, 2021 | 8:30AM – 11:30AM
(No Rain Date Available)
Join your Potomac Riverkeeper, Atlantic Kayak, and the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) for Get Into Your Sanctuary Weekend! This is a one-of-a-kind, guided interpretive paddle through our country’s newest National Marine Sanctuary, Mallows Bay!
Learn about the amazing history of the Ghost Fleet on the Potomac. Dr. Susan Langley, State Underwater Archaeologist with the Maryland Historical Trust will provide an overview of the history of Mallows Bay and explain its unique features and ecological importance as we paddle through the eerie hulls of the Ghost Fleet.
Within the small bay in Southern Maryland, about 30 miles south of Washington, DC, lie hundreds of shipwrecks, most of them from World War I. In July 2019 the NOAA designated Mallows Bay on the Potomac River as a new National Marine Sanctuary.
Mallows Bay, one of the largest assemblages of historic shipwrecks in the Western Hemisphere, is known as the “Ghost Fleet” of the Potomac. Surrounding the bay are sandy bluffs topped with trees, which provide magnificent roosts for bald eagles. Marshy tributaries rich in wildlife provide a quiet counterpart to the historic wreckage. The historic Bay is located along the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail and the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail.
Lead Riverkeeper: Dean Naujoks – (336) 809-6041 or email@example.com
Mallows Bay Park
1440 Wilson Landing Road
Nanjemoy, MD 20662
Arrival Time: 8:00AM anticipated take-out 11:30AM
Paddle Distance: 3 miles/2.5 hour loop
Skill Level: Novice/Beginner Welcome
Outfitter: Atlantic Kayak
Boat Options and Costs:
Kayak: $100 per person /Tandem Kayaks are available upon request
(NOTE: BYOB (Bring Your Own Boat) is NOT available for this paddle.)
Included with each registration:
- Rental kayak, tandem kayak, PFD and paddle
- RiverPalooza 2021 commemorative t-shirt
Participant Limit: 25 People
Note: Rentals are only available to adults or children 12 years and older who are accompanied by an adult.
What to Bring:
- Packed lunch, snacks and drinking water (no glass bottles)
- Wear proper footwear. NO FLIP-FLOPS. Old gym shoes, sandals with a strap, and water shoes work great
- Sunscreen, hat and rain gear
- Change of clothes
- A face mask
- Dry bag or waterproof container (if you bring a phone or a non-waterproof camera, you need a way to protect it)
- If you plan to fish, bring a valid fishing license for the waters you would be fishing.
- Read the Paddle Rules
The following Liability Waivers are required for each participant in your party. Please fill out and submit in advance.
- ACA Trip Waiver (fill out and submit online)
- Potomac Riverkeeper Network Trip Waiver (fill out and submit online)
- Atlantic Kayak Trip Waiver
Tag us in your paddle trips on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or TikTok — #RiverPalooza2021