WHEN: Friday, July 27th, 2018
Title: Monuments Memorial Paddle
River: Potomac River
Trip Description: Join your Potomac Riverkeeper for our Monuments Memorial Paddle around Columbia Island. Our guided paddle tour will involve a unique trip up the Boundary Channel of the Potomac River, which separates Columbia Island from the Virginia shoreline, while the main stem of the Potomac surrounds the island on the other three sides. We re-enter the Potomac River on the back side of lower Roosevelt Island (formerly Analostan Island) that is now a memorial to Theodore Roosevelt, America’s 26th president and a champion for clean water and conservation. Once back on the main stem of the Potomac, paddlers will enjoy spectacular views of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, and the Memorial Bridge. The trip concludes at at Columbia Island Marina, completing a full circle of Columbia Island administered by the National Park Service.
Located within the park are the Lyndon Baines Johnson Memorial Grove, Navy-Merchant Marine Memorial, and the Columbia Island Marina. The island, park, memorials, and marina are part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
Join us after the paddle for drinks and refreshments at Columbia Island Marina. Help us celebrate the beautiful Potomac River and our continuing commitment to protect and to defend the Nation’s River!
- Lead Riverkeeper: Dean Naujoks – 336-809-6041 or email@example.com
- Outfitter: REI
- Paddle Distance: 3 miles, 2 1/2 hrs
- Paddle Level: Beginner (minimum age 18 unless accompanied by adult)
- Arrival Location:
Columbia Island Marina
George Washington Memorial Pkwy
Arlington, VA 22202
- Arrival Time: 9:00 AM
- Boat Options and Costs:
Single Kayak: $65
- The following “awesomeness” is included with each rental:
canoe or kayak (except BYOB)
personal flotation device for the day
RiverPalooza 2018 commemorative t-shirt
one-year PRKN membership to support your Potomac Riverkeeper and our fight for clean water
Participant Limit: 24 people
What to Bring:
- Wear proper footwear. NO FLIP-FLOPS. Old gym shoes, sandals with a strap, and water shoes work great
- Sunscreen, hat and rain gear
- Healthful snacks and drinking water (no glass bottles)
- Change of clothes
- Dry Bag or Waterproof Container (if you bring a phone or a non-waterproof camera, you need a way to protect it)
- Trip waiver (bring signed copy with you) – Adult waiver | Minor waiver
- Read Paddle Rules
- Download Water Reporter app to record your paddle experience. #RiverPalooza2018
NOTE: Potomac Riverkeeper Network is not responsible for securing camping reservations or for the safety and enjoyment of participants who wish to attend. Scheduled activities are subject to change or cancellation due to inclement weather, high river levels, wind, and other factors that could jeopardize safety and enjoyment of participants. Unfortunately, there can be no refunds. Potomac Riverkeeper Network is not responsible for any personal property that may be lost, damaged, or stolen during the trip. Potomac Riverkeeper Network is not responsible for limited camping, outfitter service, lengthy paddle distances, late start times, and uncontrollable weather that could potentially prohibit/limit our ability to provide an enjoyable and safe paddling experience.