wednesday, June 8th: island ford to elkton landing on the shenandoah river
in Shenandoah, VA
Over a dozen paddlers joined the Shenandoah Riverkeeper on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River on a wonderful sunny day for the first float of Paddle Potomac! Paddle Shenandoah! The water levels were high but we still enjoyed fishing and some swift rapids! Paddlers enjoyed the beautiful scenery, where pristine mountain creeks flow from nearby Shenandoah National Park into the Doah.
Outfitters: Shenandoah River Adventures
415 Long Avenue
Shenandoah, VA 22849
Paddle Distance: 7 miles
Skill level: Intermediate
Elkton Landing at 633 Business 33, Elkton, VA
Arrival Time: 10:00am (on the river 11:00am)
Anticipated Take–out Time: 3:00pm
Boat Options and Costs:
- Canoe rental: $75 per canoe for up to two adults. One child minimum age 5 & over 30 pounds can sit in the middle. (This is a $126 value)
- Single Kayak: $50 per kayak for one person. ($111 value)
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Boat): $35 per boat for the shuttle. ($96 value)
- The following "awesomeness" is included with each registration: rental canoe or kayak (except BYOB), personal flotation device for the day, trash bag, paddle insurance, interpretive guides, Paddle Potomac! Paddle Shenandoah! commemorative t-shirt, and a one-year Potomac Riverkeeper Network membership to support the Shenandoah Riverkeeper.
Participant Limit: 50 people
Can People Bring Their Own Boats: Yes. $35 registration & shuttle fee.
What to Bring:
- Wear proper footwear. NO FLIP-FLOPS. Old gym shoes, sandals with a strap, and water shoes work great.
- Fishing gear, sunscreen, hat and rain gear
- Healthy snacks and drinking water. No glass bottles.
- Change of clothes
- Dry Bag or Waterproof Container – If you bring a phone or a non-waterproof camera, you need a way to protect it.
- If you plan to fish, bring valid fishing license for the waters you would be fishing.
- Shenandoah River Adventures Waiver - Bring a signed copy with you.
- Trip waiver - Bring signed copy with you. Adult waiver. Minor waiver.
- Read Paddle rules. to record your paddle experience.
- Download Water Reporter app to record your paddle experience. #PaddlePotomac #PaddleShenandoah
Camping? People can tent camp for free at Shenandoah River Adventures. Porta-potties only. No bath house. Several camping locations are available in Shenandoah National Park. Check here for more information.