tuesday, June 14th: Antietam Creek - Float Through History
in Sharpsburg, MD
About two dozen people joined Upper Potomac Riverkeeper for a fun-filled experience on the Antietam. History shrouds the Antietam Creek with the National Battlefield along its banks and the many stone arched bridges that cross the river. The Antietam Creek is history. The day began with a guided tour of the Antietam National Battlefield at the visitor's center and movie. From there, followed our guide and met up with the outfitters near the Burnside Bridge Rd access and floated to the confluence of the Potomac. Our lively guide entertained us with history and stories of the Antietam. But the guided trip was only the teaser compared to the fun we had playing on this beginner white water river. Each turn on the Antietam Creek brought us excitement and wonder!
Paddle Distance: 6 miles/3 hrs
Paddle Level: Beginner/intermediate
Arrival Time: 9:30 AM at the visitor center, we will be on the creek by noon. Paddlers should plan to be off the water by 4:00 PM
Outfitter: River and Trail Outfitters
Boat Options and Costs:
- Canoe rental: $75 per canoe for up to two adults. (This is a $126 value)
- Tandem (two person) Kayak: $75 per kayak for up to two adults. ($126 value)
- Single Kayak: $50 per kayak for one person ($111 value)
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Boat): $35 per boat for the shuttle. ($96 value)
- The following "awesomeness" is included with each registration: rental canoe or kayak (or BYOB), personal flotation device for the day, trash bag, paddle insurance, interpretive guides, Paddle Potomac! Paddle Shenandoah! commemorative t-shirt, and a one-year Potomac Riverkeeper Network membership to support the Upper Potomac Riverkeeper.
- Camping afterward at Harpers Ferry Adventure Center [Contact center for reservations. Located at 37410 Adventure Center Lane, Purcellville, VA 20130 Phone: (540) 668-9007]